|Project by drewpy||posted 07-08-2015 03:01 PM||1699 views||11 times favorited||14 comments|
I was messing around trying to think what to do with some scraps I had sitting around. I grabbed some cardboard and started cutting mock ups of different designs. This is what I came up with. I decided to make a box to hold two decks of cards. I had made a larger card/dime/game box last year for a Christmas present and I have wanted something just for cards for myself ever since.
I wanted the lid to be unique. I ripped the maple to a thickness where 1/2 was recessed into the slats in the sides and the other 1/2 was above the side. I think this added different visual thickness dimensions to go along with all the angle cuts.
The wood – I used black palm and curly maple. The black palm I’ve had for a while and can’t remember where or how I acquired it. The curly maple was left over from the lamp I posted late last year. The box measures 6 ½ x 4 ¾ X 2 without the lift/pull. I simply placed some ribbon to help lift the cards out. I added some small feet to the bottom to somewhat sandwich the black palm between the curly maple.
The finish – For the curly maple I used a mixture of Dark Vintage Maple TransTint Dye and Bulls Eye Seal Coat Shellac. After it dried I sanded with 220 until I achieved a look I was pleased with. The top coat is General Finishes High Performance Polyurethane Water Based Satin Top Coat. I didn’t want to use oil that would darken the black palm and possible blend the two colors within in. I also didn’t want to further yellow the lid after getting the desired look with the tint/shellac/sanding process.
The curly maple turned out to be the perfect top for this lid design because I ended up with a few band saw blade marks from cutting all the angles. I couldn’t sand them perfectly but they ended up blending right in with the curls in the maple.
Learned – I wish I would have messed with the tint mixture a little more on the bottom. It was veneer I had sitting around and got a head of myself and didn’t get it and the lid to match very well. I need to remember to get it right before I glue and assemble. I also wish I would have tried different pull designs. Somehow the one I used got in my head and just went with it. I am pleased with it but I missed a perfect opportunity and try various things.
I am pleased with the finished piece. Now I need to figure out something for our 500 piece poker chip set!!
-- Drew in Ohio -- "The greatest wealth is health".