Garden Station

  • Advertise with us
Project by Frostyjo posted 1942 days ago 1431 views 11 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch

One of my neighbors asked me if I wanted a small pile of 1×6” cedar plank left over from building a deck. I said ‘yes’ and then proceeded to ponder what I should make with it. I decided a garden station would be something the wife would like and as a bonus, it would get the pots, planters and her implements of destruction out of my garage…um shop.

I built the base using the same concept as my workbench. Upper and lower boxes with cross members for support. The cedar planks are screwed on from inside using #10×2” screws, 3 at the top, middle and bottom. It’s solid as a boulder, and weighs about the same. I applied clear type II silicone sealant between and under all the boards as they were assembled. I don’t think it’s truly watertight, but the idea was to keep the anything inside from getting drenched and keeping moisture out from between the boards. After being out in the yard for a year now, I might run a bead between the top boards to reseal them, although it seems to be holding up.

The doors are pine with cedar panels, tenon/groove construction. The panels are rabbited and the seams sealed with silicone. The doors are master/slave with overlapping rabbits to help keep water out.

The top is pine with cedar panels. I assembled it with tenon/groove and tongue/grove. I glued the entire assembly with Titebond III. I added a couple small shelves and some pegboard. The shingles are cedar fence pickets with shallow rabbits. I sealed them with silicone and screwed them down.

I finished it off with 2 coats of Thompson’s ‘honey gold’ colored water seal.

If I did it again, I’d change the door clearance at the bottom of the base. The front of the base frame is 2×6” and the doors are 1” off the ground. I should have cut a piece of cedar about 4” wide to put across the bottom and raised the doors over it. It works fine now as long as I keep the grass in front of it trimmed down so it doesn’t get caught in the doors.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

8 comments so far

View firecaster's profile


557 posts in 2043 days

#1 posted 1942 days ago

I really like this. It would be very usefull.

-- Father of two sons. Both Eagle Scouts.

View a1Jim's profile


112008 posts in 2202 days

#2 posted 1942 days ago

this is a really nice unit

-- Custom furniture

View mtnwild's profile


3474 posts in 2152 days

#3 posted 1942 days ago

That’s really cool! Great design. Excellent!!!!!

-- mtnwild (Jack), It's not what you see, it's how you see it.

View hoosierbikenhike's profile


7 posts in 1956 days

#4 posted 1942 days ago

Very nice! I really like the style and compact but functional design. Thanks for sharing!

View woodsoldier's profile


48 posts in 1961 days

#5 posted 1942 days ago

I should not have clicked on this with the wife in the room. Thanks for adding to my Honey do list…LOL

Looks Great

-- Retired from Active Duty

View mark76wa's profile


79 posts in 2020 days

#6 posted 1941 days ago

That looks really nice. Are those blocks it is sitting on?

View Frostyjo's profile


19 posts in 2134 days

#7 posted 1941 days ago

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I put up on blocks to keep it from sinking into the lawn. It also gave me a little extra clearence for the bottom doors.

-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

View dbhost's profile


5378 posts in 1857 days

#8 posted 1735 days ago

Very nice, and a great idea to get gardening junk, I mean treasures out of the gara… I mean shop….

-- My workshop blog can be found at

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics :: gardening showcase