|Project by Mark Wilson||posted 07-06-2015 09:26 PM||534 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
I got a mess of Mulberry when my neighbor two doors down had his tree removed a few months ago. So I added that to my woodpile. A bunch of slabs, mostly, that want, eventually to be tables or clocks or some such. But also some branches for turning. Turns out it’s one of those stunning species that I just can’t wait to get my steel into. I put a seemingly insignificant chunk on the lathe to see what would happen. This is what happened. It’s the very first, and so far, only Mulberry I’ve turned. My MUCH-OLDER Thithter from Montana was here when I was working on it. She liked it a lot. It’s hers now. Note to fellow-turners: I’m willing to part, for a price, with some of this gorgeous timber. The slabs, particularly, intimidate me at this point. And, if one of you many who are much more capable than I to do it justice are interested in obtaining some of it, contact me either here or through my website. I’m serious. I shudder to think of any of this marvelous wood being wasted because of my reticence to get into it for fear that I’ll just wreck it. I slathered wax on the cut surfaces the day after I got it home, and it seems to be holding up fairly well. There are some cracks that opened up just in the 24 hours or so before I waxed it – nothing that anyone with a talent for making butterflies can’t work around. There is some beetle damage in a few of the short logs. Oh. Two slabs are bookmatched.