|Project by toddbeaulieu||posted 07-06-2015 08:38 PM||2160 views||5 times favorited||4 comments|
I made this set for the in-laws (they sure do get a lot of nice things from my shop! See my other projects for proof!)
Of course, 99% of the available corn hole boards and plans are made from plywood, but that’s just not how I roll. I milled the material down from 8/4 rough stock. As you can see, I’m not afraid of worm holes and even bits of bark in the final product (not shown). I was originally going to mortise the frame to capture the slats like a breadboard end on a table, but changed my mind. I used 1/8” spacers when assembling the slats inside the frame for attaching and drilled the hole with them in place. I then removed all the slats and ran them over the router table for rounding over. This was my first experiment with Bridle Miters (frame corners). Interesting. I like the look and they seem plenty strong, but I found them to be a bit tricky to get consistent results with such small stock on the table saw. I was able to re-use the hole cutouts for the leg mounts, adding a small rounded block to each as the stop. Easy and I like the look. The velcro is to secure the legs in place and to hold a small assembly that I made with 27 feet of mason string wrapped around it for setting up the boards. I was able to test them at a cookout and the work great. I thought they were plenty stiff – not too bouncy at all and held the bags fine. Finished with spar varnish.
I do want to add short feet on the front to raise it up a bit. Instructions listed 2-4” and I went with 2”, but that led to a lot of controversy over whether bags hit the grass, so adding height should eliminate that issue.
Also, it would be nice to add handles because they are awkward to carry and a bit heavy.