|Project by Paul Bucalo||posted 07-06-2015 08:25 PM||1169 views||0 times favorited||12 comments|
Last week I inserted a 3-1/2” x 3-1/2” x 8’ pressured treated post in the East lawn space to hang four flower pots. Atop the post I promised the wife I would add a bird house I built. I spent some time on the Web looking for plans. The wife wasn’t aware of the safety issues in building a viable house, so I went against the grain and build one to specs…mostly.
The design is for bluebirds. The Eastern Bluebird inhabits our area, but I have never seen one. Hopefully this will attractive a female, as we are now into the breeding season.
I deviated from the plans in three areas. The first was in the plan’s dimensions. The width of the pallet wood I had to work with was 1/2” narrower than the plans called for. This only affected the width of the front and back sides of the house. The second change was in the roof’s joinery. Instead of a peak-overlapping butt joint, I used a strip over the groove formed by an edge-to-edge joint.
The sides, bottom, predator guard and roof sides were hand planed before gluing and nailing. To make the cleaning easy at the end of the season, I have mounted the removable base to the top of the post. Four screws, two on each side, hold the house over the base.
The last change was in deciding to use a finish. While not encouraged, the materials used in the finish are bird safe and won’t pose a problem for the occupants.
Here are the pre-finish pictures. The roof and entry hole predator guard were painted with Olympic ICON Semi-Gloss Self Priming White Enamel. Boiled Linseed oil was used on the outside of the house sides. No finish has been applied to the entry hole or insides.
And the finished bird house assembled and mounted atop the post.
A fun build. I might made some more bird houses over the winter.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Norwich NY USA