|Project by Cliff||posted 07-06-2015 05:18 AM||1049 views||3 times favorited||8 comments|
Well here they are….....More Mallets…...Since becoming a LUMBERJock I have now made 5 Mallets but don’t have a Mallet of my own!!! They have all been given away. Most Wood Workers I’m sure would agree that part of the Joy of making something is the Joy of giving, so the next Mallet is for me. I’ll give it a bit of thought and attempt to draw it on paper first and then make a Mallet for Cliff.
Again I apologise for not having progress pictures, I was just having so much fun Sawing and Turning that I clean forgot about photos. The Wood is Australian Hard Wood, very old and is part of my Bits and Pieces box of timber.
The Finish is Danish Oil. Six Coats, sanded between the first Four Coats with 240 Grit. The last Two coats were not sanded. I like Danish Oil but it is a bit tedious if you are itching to get to the end result. Extreme patience is required. Nearly forgot. The end caps are cross grain as opposed to the Mallet Head which runs along the Grain from top to bottom. I am considering a different method of fixing the Caps in the future, so far I have glued them on at the Square Blank Stage…another method could be to make hard wood dowels between cap and mallet head, then glue them. The added strength could work out well.
Thank you for looking.
-- Cliff Australia : Snoring is good. It blows away all the Sawdust.