|Project by kimosawboy||posted 07-04-2015 07:51 PM||1651 views||10 times favorited||4 comments|
Solid Maple End Grain Butcher Block..
Picture happy and kinda rambling so be forewarned. Any comments/questions are welcome
Now this was a fun and long project. The client requested a butcher block with the dimensions of 36”x24” with a solid 4” of end grain…(A tad overkill for my tastes but hey, I just make de tings)
First off was the sketch that he was happy with and off I went.
Started by purchasing about 50 BF of maple in rough cut form 2”thickness and cutting it down to manageable pieces.
Then into the shop to make some sawdust!https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nqz93km.jpg!
Since this top was going to suck up a lot of wood as well as being to large for my planer I did the glue up in smaller sections.
Once all the sections were glued , off to the planer then another round of glue ups…. !https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nqz9acr.jpg!
When the glue finally dried I was able to cut the larger pieces down to size and flip them up and add more glue….. I ended up going with a combination of pipe clamps /chain/straps and anything else I could find to do this last glue up. !https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nqz9m9v.jpg!
While the top was doing its thing I got busy with the base. Pretty straight forward with large 4” legs fastened to the rails with mortise and tenon joinery, then doweled to lock in place. !https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nqz9qdt.jpg!!https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nqz9tpw.jpg!
The legs had some cracks in them from drying ,that I addressed with numerous inlayed butterflies.
After the base was done it was just the lower grill to make, I originally wanted it to be constructed of 1.5”x1.5”but that got changed to .75” X 1.5” after the failed first attempt. I made up a simple box joint jig for the table saw and dado blade. After some trial and error I had the fit that I wanted. (need a rubber mallet to assemble) I fastened with 23gauge brads on the back side. Cut to size and sanded.
The grill was the last piece, then it was sanding and finishing,
Overall I’m very happy with this. I was very time consuming as I only had a certain amount of clamps to do the gluing, but aside from that it was a good project. I think the thing that I like about this the most is the grill and the butterflies…..go figure!!!!
Thanks for looking ….