|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 06-25-2015 07:25 PM||1764 views||4 times favorited||31 comments|
Taking this a little farther, I laid out this pattern and cut it all in one night. I did the layout with the indexing head and center drilled the locations on the front side and drilled the holes in the drill press before cutting any grooves. I had one hole drift and it shows when you look at all the locations and spacings. The one is definitely off. The drill must have not picked up the center drill mark quite centered….......ODTBJ.
That was not the only incident. The center of the 6th big ring broke loose on the last cut. I heard that funny crack and knew what it was. It was good that it did not swing the whole piece way out and break everything. You can hardly see it because I surgically glued it back in place and remade the broken bridge material with epoxy and mesquite dust.
The bottom holder is made from a piece of mesquite that was cut on a big angle and was in the burn barrel. I pulled it out and cut it with a radius in the center to match the diameter of this piece for display.
This was fun cutting with my new 1/8” grooving tool. I don’t think I’ll make any with the .075” tool. The hanging chads will be too hard to pick out!!
This trivet is mesquite and almost 3/8” thick and 5 7/8” diameter and finished with clear matte spray.
I just added 2 shots of the little bugger I turn the back circles with. It is a 1/4”-20 threaded shaft and a big support washer . It screws onto the 1”-8 spindle.
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!