|Project by greg48||posted 06-23-2015 07:30 PM||774 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
While having a few days downtime awaiting a shipment of screws for another project, YiaYia asked if I could knock out a few planter boxes for some annuals that have been sitting in their six pack containers. Wanting them the same size as an old box (background pic 3) bought sometime back but since being rotted out I set to work on some new ones.
I decided to build the boxes about 21” long and 5 1/2” tall with the sides beveled at 10 degrees. Having some OG clear all heart redwood in storage, I set out re-manning the old staves to cut out some 3/4” and 1/2” stock. The tank staves look a bit rough, but there’s good stuff just below the surface (pic 2).
The sides are joined with tongue and groove and Titebond III (pic 4). The bottom is 1/2” stock fitted into a 10 degree dado, stopped on the long sides using the table saw with a wobble blade and the stopped ends cleaned out with a bench chisel (pic 3). After assembling the boxes, I ripped faux joint lines along the sides with a flat toothed rip blade set at 45 degrees just for visual interest (pic 5). The finish is one light coat (one coat only, Vasily) of Thompson’s Clear Deck Sealer just to hold the color a bit longer.
In the three days I took to build the planter boxes, my screw order came in, so I’m off to make the installation. Thanks for look’in in and have a great summer (forecasting 106 deg. F. by the end of the week – thinking about AC in the shop).
-- Greg, No. Cal. - "Gaudete in Domino Semper"