|Project by kiefer||posted 06-22-2015 10:48 PM||4451 views||41 times favorited||35 comments|
The other day I ran out of a couple of sizes of sanding sleeves and after calling the tool shop I thought making some myself would be worth a try since they wanted $7.00 a piece for a 3”x 4 1/2” 80 grit sleeve .
I had the good fortune to acquire a box of sanding belts that are about 156”x6” in several grits and decided to give it a try .
Today I had an idea of how to make a sleeve without using the old sleeve as I first posted and all I did is cut a strip of sandpaper to size using the pattern I had made and ran a strip of filament tape along one edge and then using the drum to form the sleeve wrapping ii tight around the sleeve and trimmed of the excess tape .
It worked well during a test run and even with hard pressure on the work piece there seemed to be no issues .
The other thing I made is a bigger washer from HDF for the top of the drum reason for that is to expand the drum more evenly .See PIC #1
I have added this a third method and it seems to work the best .
This is the first method
What I did was cover the used up sleeve with new sandpaper from the belts I mentioned .
I made a simple pattern by wrapping paper around the sleeve and cutting the ends to shape and then putting the pattern on the backside of the belt and cut the belt to shape .
Now came the easy part ,after wrapping the sandpaper around the sleeve I simply glued the tips of the paper with CA glue to the old sleeve and let it set for about ten minutes . I had done a test sample previously and found that I got a good strong bond just using a small area with glue .
I gave the three inch sleeve a trail run on a three in piece of D =Fir to see how it would perform and I am happy with the result and will now re cover all my used sleeves .
I also tried a second method where I simply wrapped the sandpaper around the drum and pinched a little tab on the end of the sandpaper between the drum and top and bottom washers which also worked quite well .
To hold the paper temporarily in place I used masking tape which was removed before using the sleeve .
Here are a few pics of the second method
I have added a third method and it seems to work the best .
Comments welcome .