|Project by Derek Lyons||posted 04-16-2009 06:24 PM||6320 views||6 times favorited||10 comments|
Progress on improving the shop continues… This weeks project, a cart for the my planer.
Assembly of the frame begins. With a couple of sheets of MDF to protect it, the top of my table saw makes a handy assembly table.
Like a skyscraper, the frame continues to rise, but not without problems. Somewhere along the line something ended up not square (unsurprising since I was using big box dimension lumber, even carefully selected it’s far from perfect). It took quite a bit of fiddling to make everything come out as square as possible.
The completed frame – and a major error… I transferred over the dimensions of the bolt holes on the planer, and marked them on the frame before knocking off work for the day. When I came back to it the next day, I used those marks to align the inner edges of the cross pieces rather than the center line so the planer is only bolted to one crosspiece and the plywood top rather than into both crosspieces. It’s no biggie as the piece is overbuilt anyhow, but sloppy work is never good.
I didn’t take pictures of the bottom, but at one end is a pair of non swiveling wheels with two wooden support blocks under the other. The cart is stable when parked, but by picking up one end it moves easily about the shop.
-- Derek, Bremerton WA --