|Project by oldstarter||posted 06-16-2015 06:56 AM||1064 views||0 times favorited||8 comments|
I recently decided to have a real go at ‘Sketchup’ and spent a solid week doing nothing else, then just to try it out I took a photo of a clock from the net and tried to use it in Sketchup. I had no dimensions so had to guess at them, taking as a starting point the tiles either side of the clock face and assumed they would have been around 4” I eventually ended up with a clock 24” inches long. Now having a plan of the clock all drawn up, all be it not brilliant on my part I decided to have a go at making it. First off 24” is a bit long for my mantle piece which is only 48”, so using one of Sketchup’s tools I reduced it by half. Seemed a good idea at the time, but never really thought of how small all the other parts would end up until I came to make them that is. I never intended to make a miniature, but that’s really how it ended up, the smallest parts being the mortice and tenon joints for the front of the clock, the tenons ended up a 1/4” x 1/8” with 1/16” shoulders. I meant to photograph them but got so involved with gluing and clamping them ready for the next day that I completely forgot. When I came to what I assumed originally to be 4” tiles, now of course where only a quarter of that size, I looked around but couldn’t find anything suitable so ended up making something myself. I drew out the shapes and then set about doing some inlay for the stems at the bottom I decided the best bet was to put super glue around them, then fill them with some Ebony saw dust from a sander. Then ground down some Turquoise stone for the centre of the flowers and then finished off with hand painting using acrylic paint. the original clock face I had was too big so had to use a different one, another thing I learnt. Start with the clock not the case.
Well better or for worse here she is, thanks for looking.
-- Oldstarter (Dave Ashby)