|Project by lew||posted 06-13-2015 04:40 PM||1927 views||10 times favorited||27 comments|
Back in April, I asked the Lumberjock Community for some input on making a humidor. I received lots of great ideas and suggestions. Taking it all to heart, I came up with this.
The design/materials of the humidor were dictated by the customer. The walnut was supplied by the customer, as well. Everything is solid walnut except for the back, which is MDF laminated with a heavy walnut veneer. I tried to keep the interior metal to a minimum because of the high humidity. The lining is Spanish cedar planed to 1/4” thick. Interior drawer/storage is Spanish cedar also. All glue was TiteBondIII.
the liner extends slightly proud of the front of the case to create a surface for sealing the openings. The door/drawer have dados around the perimeters and these contain a foam seal. I cannot take credit for this part of the design. LJ member AlaskaBob pointed me to this information http://archive.cigarweekly.com/magazine/cigarticles/02-12-2009/building-a-cabinet-humidor-from-scratch.
To maintain the seal, I used a lock on the door and ball catches on the drawer. As per the LJ consensus, there is no finish inside the “chamber”. The outside is finished with Watco Danish Oil and BriWax. The glass is sealed with clear silicon. There are wooded strips pin nailed as trim and to allow for removal if the glass is broken.
All of the drawer/storage boxes are made with hand cut dovetails. The drawer front is connected to the drawer box with sliding dovetails.
The cabriole legs were a first for me. Man, those things take a lot of sanding!
Thanks for all of the help on this!
-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.