|Project by Jim Jakosh||posted 06-10-2015 11:48 PM||1576 views||7 times favorited||29 comments|
I kind of like this grooving so I laid out a pattern where I did not cut through the outer edge and cut a piece of maple burl to do it in. The front side turned fine, but on the back side there was this light yellow streak that tuned out to be a loose part of a branch. It survived the facing cut, but went south when I did the grooving but I completed it anyway. It is still usable as a trivet only not symmetrical like I wanted. I do like that little triangle that is left in the center!!
It is 5 1/2” diameter and 1/4” thick and finished with clear matte spray. I added some shots of the turning on the lathe. I just happened to have an adapter with a 1/4- 20 threaded shaft sticking out that worked just fine. I may make a 10-24 one for the next one so I can go with a smaller hole and narrower groove on the front side. With that backer ring, it is real stable cutting. The front side was turned with a spigot glued on the back that got removed for the small ring cuts.
These are fun.
-- Jim Jakosh.....Practical Wood Products...........Learn something new every day!! Variety is the Spice of Life!!