|Project by Pezking7p||posted 06-07-2015 02:06 PM||2470 views||4 times favorited||21 comments|
When we bought out house 2 years ago, we agreed that the kitchen needed to be remodeled and that my fledgling shop would be the source of the cabinets. A wedding got in the way but a year later we were married and I had a lot more experience under my belt. I was ready to make cabinets.
What you see is a completely re-done kitchen by my wife and myself. The cabinets are pre-finished ply with maple face frames and inset shaker doors. Construction is all pocket screws. The door panels are either glass, bead board, or plain plywood; I chose to mix up the panels to keep it from being monotonous. The pantry door is a solid maple board-and-batten construction. It is very large and probably wasn’t my best idea but it looks good. All the cabinets were sprayed with catalyzed lacquer.
In addition to the cabinets, a load bearing wall was removed, new tile floors, tile backsplash, all new lighting and electrical. Everything you see is new.
I started building cabinets on August 9th, started kitchen demo on October 30th, and got the kitchen to useable status (everything done except crown and shoe moldings, and the backsplash) by thanksgiving.
Thank you for taking the time to look at my kitchen remodel. There are a lot of pictures below of the process.
Here’s a pile of lumber:
Here’s my setup for breaking down sheet goods by myself. Took a while to figure out how to do this but it was very effective.
My router setup for the door frames. I used a frued shaker adjustable bit set. I can’t recommend these enough but it HAD to have chip extraction to work.
Finishing the scroll work on the plate rack by hand.
This pantry door was huge (maybe 45 lbs) and until I hung it, I wasn’t sure the hinges would be up to the task. I seriously didn’t know if it would work. I ended up using 4 full wrap hinges and it was just fine. Zero sag after 7 months.
Painting…I sprayed these with catalyzed vinyl sealer and catalyzed lacquer from sherwin williams using a $60 sprayer from peachtree. I was terrified. I started by making my front porch into a spray booth by enclosing it in plastic. This was a horrible idea. My front yard worked much better. Bugs love lacquer but it’s dry in about 5 minutes and they buff right out. Seriously.
I’ll try to give a remodel run down here.
Removing the load bearing wall. One of the most grueling days of labor in my life.
At times this endeavor drove us to drink: