|Project by jack1||posted 04-09-2009 05:34 AM||1876 views||0 times favorited||17 comments|
I’ve been wanting some laying hens for a while and got the go ahead just recently. The coop’s footprint is 8’x4’ with a front wall of 7’ and a back wall or 6’ so I don’t bump my head like I used to in other coops and I have a good 4:1 slope for the heavy rains we sometimes get.
The windows were salvaged from a lean-to renovation we did a few years ago on the shop (yeah, I put em in upside down the first time) and the roof is 72”x30” corrugated zinc/alum sheets. I pre-fabbed the walls, tipped them perpendicular and anchored them into an existing concrete pad with my trusty Remington. The corners are sealed against the weather with 90 degree flashing. I used kd pine for the frame to hang the T-111 on. This project gave me a chance to use a bunch of different Simpson ties. Lots of screws, neat stuff. Chicken wire is next on the list.
I can’t believe the cost of building materials. The T-111 was $40/sheet as an example! The Coop de Gras’ came from the cost… ;o)
We just got our first 1/2 dozen Rhode Island Reds today. Got the heat lamp, shavings, food, water and a locked door! I think we will also get some Barred Rocks and Anconas too for the green eggs and ham sam i yam…
I finished up by fencing a 25’x15’ area 6’ high with shade cloth over the top to add shade and protect from hawks, owls etc. I didn’t say it was pretty but it works! Now for the eggs…
-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!