|Project by Dave Rutan||posted 06-05-2015 12:19 PM||1136 views||2 times favorited||5 comments|
This is one of those easy projects that I put off finishing for a long time. Fellow Lumberjock Steve Carmichael put the idea in my head after I saw his video on the project. He also supplies a cutting template.
I had a piece of pine big enough, but it had been previously finished with stain. I figured for an experiment that would be good enough since I didn’t want to strip the wood first.
So for several months the template sat loose on the board, getting moved back and forth as it got in my way by the band saw. I don’t know what I was waiting for. Then about a month ago, I finally bought some spray adhesive and glued the template to the board. Then I cut it out on the band saw. The resulting rings got left on my workbench/catch-all for a few weeks.
It was only in the past week or so that I put the rings together again and sanded the old finish off using my random orbit sander. The inside and outside edges were sanded on the drill press using a sanding spindle. Then I glued together the entry cuts.
Finally I put a dot of glue on each corner and assembled the basket face down on the bench, so that I could put the weight on the bottom to hold things together easily. I wiped the excess glue as best I could. When the glue was set I sanded the edges generally.
I finished it with spray lacquer, applying several coats. Since half of the edges are effectively end grain this took a lot of finish because it kept soaking in. Next time I think I’ll try using mineral oil so that I can just flood it on.
I said this was more of an experiment. The sanding could be a little better done. While I hadn’t intended it as such, my wife likes it, so it’ll be added to our kitchen equipment. Also, this gives me an idea for Christmas presents for this coming year.
-- Ni faru ion el ligno!