|Project by eztrigger||posted 06-04-2015 02:27 PM||1432 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
When my daughter was born I decided I wanted to build her something she could grow up with and actually make use of. My grandfather made me a toy chest when I was young(the blue one in the pictures), so I decided that might be good for her. Here’s the result of that endeavor. I used purple heart for the splines in the case and lid as well as the lettering for her initials. The CNC work was contracted out, since I don’t have a machine and I decided my router inlay kit just wasn’t going to cut it. everything else I made from scratch including the tiny cove molding in the panels. I think almost every step of this project was new for me, so it was certainly an adventure, but I am satisfied with the result.
The case is splined miters on the corners and mortise and loose tenons on the frame and panel. I made a jig to use with my router on the mortises, and that worked pretty well. Getting the jig aligned perfectly straight proved a bit challenging, but I think it was still easier than the traditional methods. For the splined miters, I did the glue up with undersized cherry splines and came back and plugged the ends with purple heart for a nice seamless looking fit.
Cutting the trim for the panels and the skirt was quite challenging when it came to getting my router bit set right. for the tiny panel trim, I ended up routing a centered cove into each corner of a square blank and then cutting each side free on the table saw(see pic of one piece ready to break free). Getting all of this centered perfectly was key to consistently sized trim pieces and it really gave me fits! I am glad I added the trim on the skirt, because it really helped to ease the transition to the dovetailed skirt at the bottom.
The top was made much the same as the mitered corners on the case by using under sized cherry splines and plugging the ends with purple heart afterwards. I ended up adding battens as well because I was afraid it would warp over time.
Finish was 2 coats natural danish oil, 3 coats wipe on poly, and a final paste wax buffing with steel wool. I have to say, the whole thing just wouldn’t be the same without all the finishing effort, it really pulled everything together.
I missed my deadline of her first birthday by about a month, but its done now and the new occupant seems happy with it… Thanks for looking, and please let me know what you think.
-- "Some get spiritual 'cause they see the light, and some 'cause they feel the heat." --Ray Wiley Hubbard