|Project by Mosquito||posted 06-02-2015 02:38 PM||1879 views||3 times favorited||19 comments|
This is a scratch built computer case (and computer) that I made for my wife. It started as 4/4 rough mahogany, and was cut to size and milled up by hand. The front grate was an old cast iron heat vent cover we found at an antique shop a while ago. I used cast iron corner braces around the window in the side panel to go along with the theme. It was finished with Dark Walnut Danish Oil.
The computer inside is watercooled with a custom watercooling loop, and uses rigid acrylic tubing. There’s not a whole lot of extra room in the case, but that’s just the way I like it. The power button and two USB 3.0 ports are located on the top front of the case.
The top, front, and bottom pieces are dovetailed together using hand cut half blind dovetails. The doors have dado’s in them across the top and bottom, which fit over rabbets on the top and bottom pieces. I used half-mortise locks to hold the doors closed (keyholes in the top panel). The back panel is a piece of painted aluminum I cut out, and painted. It’s attached to a mortise and tenon frame, which is screwed to the back of the case.
All the final pictures can be found here:
A full worklog of this build can be found here:
Started out with a long wide piece of rough mahogany.
After much hand sawing and hand planing, I ended up with this stack of boards
I dovetailed the front to the top and bottom pieces with half-blind dovetails.
I used a Stanley #46 to cut the dado’s in the two side doors, and the rabbets for the top/bottom pieces.
This is how the doors are aligned with the other two panels.
I mortised the hinges into the front edge of the door, and the back face of the front panel. This is how I have access into the case for installing hardware.
I used these half-mortise locks to hold the side panels closed.
I cut out a hole in the side panel to mount the corner braces and the acrylic window too. It was kind of annoying, as I had to cut out the profile of the corner braces in the acrylic so it would fit
I made a mortise and tenon frame for the back panel to mount to
I used a combination of drill, jewelers saw, dremel, and jigsaw to make the cut outs for the back panel.
I painted the back panel and some screws, glued together the joinery, and applied the finish.