|Project by Imakenicefirewood||posted 06-01-2015 10:29 PM||595 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
This was my first major (at least to me) re-finishing project, and to those of you that do this type of work, my hat is off to you.
This crib was purchased about 20 years ago by my brother in law for their son, and was passed on to me and my wife for our first child about 5 years ago. The finish began to flake about the time she outgrew it, so it went into the barn needing to be refinished for the next kid. Well that time came a few months ago with the arrival of our second kid. And so the sanding began.
The wife wasn’t crazy about the color, so I took all of the pieces apart, sanded all the way to bare wood, and started fresh. I had no idea the amount of work that went into getting all of those small areas sanded. I started with 80 grit, and worked my way back up to 220. After it was sanded, I hung all of the pieces from the rafters of our garage for stain and finish (the blurry photo). I put two coats of sealcoat and two coats of a homemade wipe on satin poly. It probably could have used more time with the 220 grit paper, and another coat of the wipe on poly, but the little man was outgrowing the basinet.