|Project by Karson||posted 04-06-2009 02:01 AM||9459 views||11 times favorited||25 comments|
Someone posted their making a thickness sander and putting hook and loop sandpaper on the drum.
That got me to thinking that I’d like to convert my sander to hook and loop. He recommended Woodmaster in Kansas City for the parts. I checked with the supplier where I buy sandpaper and I could get the hook and loop PSA by the foot so I could get the length that I needed instead of buying pre cut lengths.
I used Supergrit.com for my sandpaper supplies for this conversion.
The pictures in the project are in the reverse order from the conversion.
This is the sander. It’s a 16/32 inch open end sander.
It’s not used much.
I took all of the existing sandpaper off and measured the drum to find out how much of the PSA hook material I needed.
When it came I measured a diagonal that was the length of one loop around the drum.
I then cut on that diagonal and started to put the PSA material down. I put it in the reverse diagonal of the way that I wind the paper. It turned out that I was 3” too short so I took a 3” piece from the end that I cut off and stuck it down.
I then got some paper and cut the same diagonal on it, but in the reverse angle. I then started to wind it. It worked great for about 3 minutes then the wind got to it and unwound the paper.
I fixed that by putting the leading edge into the clip where the original paper was attached. I’ve not had any problem since then. The trailing end stays down with no problem.
This is going to allow me to change the paper a lot faster that before. I hope I use it more often. Because it is a great tool for cleaning up wood that won’t fit in the planer.
In this case I’m speaking about 1/8 strips that I’m using as edge banding on my kitchen cabinets.
The only problem that I had with the conversion had to do with thicker material on the drum than before.
The front latch was held with a bolt that had a locking nut on it. I had to use a regular nut and grind down the bolt to shorten it.
The back plate that was an assist to keeping the sanding dust in the upper hood also was too close to the paper so I had to use a grinder to make the front edge move back. I also ground an angle on it that matched the curve of the drum.
-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org †