|Project by stratiA||posted 04-03-2009 07:36 AM||1707 views||5 times favorited||8 comments|
Hey everyone. This was my attempt at a chess board I built for my uncle. It a similar in design as one Rockler has plans for. Yes I did glue up individual squares. I used maple and black dyed oak for squares. Hey thats all I have. I built the base and frame from oak and accented it with maple. The board itself presented many challenges. Like someone mentioned a week or so ago, a slight difference in measurement is compounded when done 8×8. The squres were off just under 1/32”. The board actually measures 1/4” longer than wide. Which presented measuring challenges for miters. The squares were rounded over to make it visually appealing. I lined it with blue felt I had lying around. I used Gary K’s technique of gluing it to cardboard. I used bartleys pore filler to make the oak glass smooth and finished with many many layers of Arm a Seal gloss. It has many flaws but hey it was a learning experience.
-- Strati Alepidis, Burlington, Ma, Member Red Sox nation