|Project by ksubenny||posted 05-25-2015 09:48 PM||1566 views||7 times favorited||2 comments|
Got married last weekend and the ceremony and reception were all at the same place, so as one of the activities to help keep the guests occupied while we were finishing up pictures after the ceremony we decided I should make some cornhole boards. Well that quickly changed to these boards would be the gifts for the best man and groomsman who both happen to be woodworkers as well so I may have gone a bit overboard on the sets of drinking games…..
These are full size(24×48), sides are sapele mahogany beause I have access to a huge selection for basically no cost and since the recipients are fellow wood snobs I figured why not, top is 1/2” birch plywood from the orange big box, legs are combination of sapele and african mahogany. Fortunately we kept the wedding party intentionally small so I only had to make 3 sets of these(keeping 1 set for us that isn’t finished yet so not shown).
Assembly of the perimeter is titebond 3 and then 3” screws into the rails, all screw holes are counterbored and plugged with matching species plugs. The rabbet for the top to set into was done mostly on the tablesaw with the dado blade before assembly then corners cleaned up with a router and chisels once it was assembled. Fitting the top required the construction of a sled for the tablesaw which now that it’s built I’ve realized is long overdue, but thats the subject of another post. The tops fit very nice, couple of small gaps were filled with epoxy/sawdust mix. Pivot point on the legs was done with a threaded T-insert pressed/epoxied into a counterbored hole on the inside so no fasteners were showing through on the exterior, handles are basic 5/8” diameter rope cut roughly 24” long and knots on the inside of each end. Finish is 4 coats of Minwax Polycrylic(blue can) that seemed to be most commonly mentioned on cornhole forums, first time using it and fairly pleased with it.
I wasn’t able to get any shots of the boards in use because it ended up raining for a good part of the reception(and during the ceremony) so they didn’t get used that day, but my brother who was the recipient of one of the sets took a shot of it in his front yard as soon as he got back home that weekend. Hopefully get back to “normal” life this week and get some garage time to finish our set and officially get this project closed.