|Project by BlueRocco||posted 03-29-2009 06:32 AM||23792 views||57 times favorited||16 comments|
Here is a tongue drum I finished not too long ago. It is made of Oak and Purpleheart. Fantastic tone from this. I have it tuned to a Bb pentatonic scale. It took me quite a bit of research to find out how to calculate the relative length of the tongues and how to adjust the tuning for them. I now have a proportioned drawing that I can scale up or down to change the pitch. I used an Incra jig to make the box joints, My router to rabbit the bottom. It took almost two hours to scroll saw the top … both sides of each line. I ended up with a continuous piece of wood that came out of the top for the tongue outlines. The sun I carved in by hand and I drilled three star holes so I would have some place to store the mallets. I made the mallets out of a couple of piece of 1/4” oak dowel and two supper balls. It is finished with poly. After It dried for three days and got really hard, I buffed it with the Beale buffing system. Love that buffing system, I use it on just about everything I do.
Hello again, As far as I know, this is NOT a North American Native American Instrument. I believe what I read was that the Aztecs first started using log drums made like this. And there is some similarity to some African log drums as well. I noticed there were some inquiries as to a pattern/blog for this drum. I did a presentation for my local wood working club and put together a hand out for it. Here is a copy of the handout. I used a 17×11 piece of paper to do a full scale print out. Hopefully some of you can download this and print it out to scale. Have Fun!
-- Micheal, Boise, Id