|Project by IowaWoodcrafter||posted 06-02-2007 04:42 AM||2197 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
So, after making my wife upset because I sold the first CD/DVD shelf unit I had to quickly make another one. The first one took me almost a month due to various decisions I made. This second unit took me two weeks.
I learned a very valuable lesson with this particular project, one that is fundamental and led to a mistake I shouldn’t have made. I was trying to rush this project. For the previous unit I used biscuits to attach the shelves to the sides. I started to do the same with this project and had cut the bisuit slots in the shelves and the sides. I then decided to try using sliding dovetails. No problem, I cut the shelves down a bit to remove the biscuit slots and then cut the tails on the shelves and the grooves in the sides.
Where I made the mistake is I didn’t take the time to fit every tail to every groove. I proceeded to assemble with glue and managed to jam a shelve in so tight that I couldn’t remove it. Luckily it was the very bottom shelf. Needless to say the unit is now one shelf shorter than originally planned. As you can tell I could have really used that extra shelf. In the foreground is the old case that held just our CD’s. All of the DVD’s were on another shelf upstairs. This unit holds every CD and DVD we have, but we don’t have any room for any new ones. I guess it’s finally time to clean out the old stuff that we don’t listen or watch any more.
-- Owen Johnson - aka IowaWoodcrafter