|Project by bluekingfisher||posted 05-19-2015 07:48 PM||2083 views||8 times favorited||20 comments|
A couple of months ago I built a plane till for my LV bench planes from salvaged timber. I had several joinery planes and associated tools to store so I made a couple more storage cabinets for them.
I am particularly pleased because, not only did I use scraps and hardware already in my shop, I also managed to squeeze the cabs into the small wall space I had left in the shop.
The first cab was made to house the joinery planes as seen in photo 3 in the main picture gallery. .simple enough stuff. It was an opportunity to resaw some more of the 6×2” beams into 3/4” stock for the cabinet case. Dovetail joinery at the corners with 1/2” plywood back boards which I cut and hung as a French cleat.
I always find fitting the joint for the first time a nerdy experience so the clamps ensure a little more rigidity at the half pins.
The screwdriver and block plane cab was again joined at the corners with dovetail, three tails this time for a little more integrity. The sapele is very easy to pare so I didn’t take chances and didn’t cut too close to the marking lines.
I have to admit I made more than my fair share of mistakes on this cab, most notably, cutting the rebate for the back panel on the wrong side of the board.
So I cut a fillet and glued it in, holding it in place with painters tape, after it dried and was planed it was a fairly good repair.
The small cubby hole tray for the block planes is cut from 9mm MDF Rather than have the dividers set square to the front I cut rebates for the dividers at an angle of 30 degrees otherwise the planes would have jutted out beyond the cabinet face too much as the cabinets are only a little over 5” deep.
I just about managed to ensure the back saw doo kits were wide enough to accommodate my saws yet not foul the doors when opened.
A couple of coats of dark oak stain and 3 coats of flooring poly give it a little protection.
While re sawing the boards I took my eye off the boil just as the board was exiting the blade and I cut too deeply into one of the boards which meant the finished planed board was around 14 mm thick, rather than take the board down to a half inch or so I just left the fault and made sure it would not be seen by using it as the top board
Making the individual tool holders took me as long as it did to build the main cab, what a fiddly and frustrating job that was but I am pleased the way it all turned out.
-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan