LumberJocks

Beekeeping tool box

  • Advertise with us
Project by Hoffmanuno posted 05-18-2015 04:31 PM 879 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

My first project on my new table saw were 3 crosscut sleds, then one rough looking pine beehive super that I used to square up my jig better for these two pieces. So my first official decent looking “project” is my beekeeping tool box and a brood box. I used decades old cedar pieces that my dad had gotten from an old barn/shed and used as paneling over 30 years ago in my mom’s basement. Most of the wood was fairly straight, so I used the better pieces to make the super and the warped and knot riddled pieces for my tool box. First I separated all the pieces and used my dado to make lap joints to join two of them at a time. Glue and staples did a good job of holding them together. Then I cut them to size and put them through my finger joint jig on my dado crosscut sled. The joints were now very tight, but the wood was so old and dry that it splintered a bit when I put them together. That just added to its rustic look, which is what I loved about this old wood. Next I used leftover bits to make the bottom of the tool box and glued them all up as I nailed them on. After it dried, I planed the bottom of the box “roughly flat” with a hand plane so it didn’t wobble on hard surfaces. Next up I used old hinges from a garden project that I salvaged and a pair of old crate clasps that I salvaged from work for the lid. I settled on a very basic lid design using the same cedar that would reinforce the lid and hold it tight. Next I added on the tool holders to the ends and then looked around for a carrying handle. I found my old speedboat’s leftover transom tie down bracket that I’d saved when I replaced them after I totally rebuilt my boat a few years ago. It made a perfect handle that blends right in and works great! Now all it needs is maybe a little rough sanding of the corners and edges and a leather carrying strap in the future. The cedar is so dry and light that the whole box weighs only a few pounds. Bonus is that the joints on this one are left loose with air gaps so if I put a few frames of bees in it they can get air but not get out. I seriously love this tool box! lol





3 comments so far

View Hoffmanuno's profile

Hoffmanuno

8 posts in 589 days


#1 posted 05-18-2015 05:42 PM

And I did put removable partitions in it as well.

View farmerdude's profile

farmerdude

608 posts in 1506 days


#2 posted 05-18-2015 10:53 PM

Awesome tool box. No need for it to be pristine if it’s going to bang around in a bee yard. I carry my tools in a small plastic bucket that I use for burr comb, this looks like a much better idea. Good idea not having it airtight, as you say it would be good for carrying a few frames if you’re doing a split or whatever. You may have prompted me to build one too. Thanks for sharing, and welcome to lumberjocks.

-- Jeff in central Me.

View Hoffmanuno's profile

Hoffmanuno

8 posts in 589 days


#3 posted 05-19-2015 04:22 PM

I’m glad I used the worst of the old wood to make it, since all of the defects gave it character and the small gaps and old nail holes made it unnecessary for me to drill an air hole in it. If you are going to build one, I’d suggest using some type of similar old, dry wood because it is seriously so light that carrying it around with my tools in it a few hundred yards to my bee hives doesn’t feel like much weight at all. I did make sure to use a really good locking clasp in order to keep the lid shut in case I need to use it to transport bees in a vehicle so it won’t accidentally open. Thanks for the the compliment!

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com