|Project by paxorion||posted 05-17-2015 07:17 PM||602 views||0 times favorited||0 comments|
This one goes under the honey-do projects list. My wife picked up a kids easel off freecycle.org year ago. The previous owner had broken both plastic trays and wanted to get rid of it. She figured I could easily make replacement trays for the easel.
Fast forward 1 year, and having moved the darn thing around several times to get to my lumber, I decided I needed to stop dawdling and get it over with. New trays were made with a jointed 2×4. The tray was hogged out with a forstner bit and routed out using a straight bit and edge guide. I used a bevel gauge to figure out the right angle to rip the 2×4, so that when attached to an open easel, the tray would be level. The trays are attached with short pan-head screws that I had lying around and 1/4” walnut caps cut to match the back angle. There’s also a flat head screw attached from the back.
The last bit of work was to repaint the chalk board size with new chalk board paint. I had my daughter “help” with that process. She was very excited to get her easel. After some (lots if) coaxing, she let her brother play too.