|Project by ytsejamr||posted 03-18-2009 06:27 PM||15869 views||60 times favorited||32 comments|
So continuing in my “too fancy for a shop”, or “over the top” shop furniture . . . I present my router table extension cabinet thing.
I originally had a Rockler extension table that I didn’t like for a couple reasons. But the main issue was that there was all that unused space underneath it. I also of course wanted to add some dust collection underneath it as well.
So my outfeed table has unmatched drawer fronts . . . which means I must continue the theme. So I went with some exotics to get a feel for working with those. There’s zebra wood, lacewood, paduuk and chenchen.
I made the case out of cheap birch ply, and away I went.
I also decided now was a good time to learn how to hand cut dovetailed drawers. Little did I know that it takes a while when you’re doing 8 drawers! They’re not perfect, but I think they turned out ok, and I learned a lot.
The doors are Plexiglas. Oh yeah . . . the face frame and doors are all cherry.
For the dust collection, I split 4” hose coming to the table saw, and send it to the back of the router cabinet. I also split it to 2 1/2” and had it come up through the outfeed table. Now I wanted to have a nice neat look and be able to “cap” this off and still have a smooth top. So a coworker found a chunk of 2 1/2” diameter brass that we took a slice of and polished it up. I had to epoxy a big steel washer to the back so I can use a strong magnet as a “puller” to remove the plug. One of my many mistakes was cutting the hole in the outfeed table in the wrong place. I made it too close to the edge and is was then blocked by the tablesaw rail. Sooooo, after trying to hack my rail apart, I finally decided to cut a new hole and plug the other one.
And, I decided to make a new extension top. I had some pieces of laminate in the shop that I was able to use. The top you see was my second attempt. The first crashed and burned for many reasons . . . we’ll just call it a prototype.
I wanted to put my router bits in the smaller drawers and I of course made them too shallow, so I had to come up with a jig for drilling evenly spaced angled holes in MDF.
Ok, enough rambling . . . there it is.