|Project by scruboak51||posted 05-04-2015 08:33 PM||892 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
This was a pretty quick project. I picked up a pair of treadle bases a few months ago. I put a top on one of them and had getting to the lumber yard for more wood on my long list of things to do. Turns out I didn’t have to go that far.
I had a shelf in the garage that was effectively the junk shelf. Had originally been a fireplace mantle; prior homeowners moved it into the garage during an upgrade. I found out the hard-way that it was not anchored into studs. The incident went down cartoon style wherein I put paint brush on the shelf and the whole thing pulled off the wall.
It was “junk” wood, pine stained an ebony color and pretty beat up. I was about to cut it up and toss it, but remembered I had this treadle base and figured I should at least see if I could pull something together. A couple cuts and a quick glue up later and things were starting to take shape.
I used a hand plane to even things out, gave things a quick sand then stained using 3 progressively darker shades (Minwax’s Golden Oak, Red Mahogany and Jacobean); I’ve found layering up the stain really helps with evening out the color and brings some depth.
Protective coat was poly top and bottom, smoothed back with 0000 steel wool and waxed.
I am happy with how it turned out. I am usually not a big fan of the stain pine dark method but it was refreshing to try something different and knock a quick project out. This one goes into the sale pile.
I also just got another treadle sewing machine for a steal. $45 for a 1924 Singer. The existing cabinet is beyond repair, (cracked & de-laminated). But the treadle and machine are in great shape. I am thinking of doing a full re-build of that. Althought not sure if I should get into the tailoring business; currently sitting on 3 full sewing machines, 1 full treadle and this partial base.