|Project by CueballRosendaul||posted 05-04-2015 01:54 AM||850 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
I’ve spent a ton of time in the ship lately, but haven’t taken time to post a project, so here’s a quick one from yesterday. A garden tote for the wife. When I was buying pine for my beehives, I found a very cool piece of 12” wide pine 12’ long that was full of birdseye. Who knew that there was birdseye pine! It was cupped pretty good, so not much good for many hive components but in smaller pieces like this was perfect.
The sides and handle piece are 16” long and the ends are 12” wide. The angle was just a guess that looked good. I kept it simple with just a glued butt joint and some all purpose screws. The hearts are leftover from the handle cutouts and cover the screw holes for the handle. I hogged out the handle hole with a forstner bit, skinny spindle sander, then a file. I wanted the whole piece to have a hand made “old-timey” feel, so I hardly sanded it and used a file to ease all the edges and corners and to shape the handle a little more comfy. I gave it one light coat of spray lacquer just to make the grain pop a little and give it a little protection, but it should age and discolor with use. Assuming she ever uses it; right now she thinks it looks too pretty to use.
The bottom has an extra coat of lacquer to prevent too much warping.
The side pieces have a matching angle cut on the bottom of the length so the sides sit flat on the bottom. The bottom pieces are 3/8” slices of the center of a 2×4 with angles cut on their ends to match the sides. They’re simply glued in place from the top with a little TBIII. I spaced those bottom slats with a tiny gap between them for drainage or dirt crumbles to fall through.
I think I’ll keep my eyes open for a few more pieces of that pine.
-- Matt CueBall Rosendaul. I don't think I've ever had a cup of coffee that didn't have cat hair or sawdust in it.