|Project by marcb||posted 03-11-2009 11:49 PM||1552 views||3 times favorited||3 comments|
This kind of counts as a bandsawn box. The body is Brazilian Cherry and was glued up from 1 long board. After the initial jointing and gluing the hing locations where marked which set the size of the sides. After marking the thickness I went to the bandsaw and cut 1/2 inch off the bottom and top then cut out the inside “hole”.
I did everything but the cutout of the body, the jointing the original board of Brazilian Cherry and the holes for the hinge screws by hand.
Mostly using a chisel (3/4” and 1/4”), some 60 1/2 block planing and a bunch of scraping and sandpapering. The Brazilian cherry is as hard as a rock. Does not respond well to less than shaving sharp edges.
The rounded edges where rasped, filed and sanded to an approximately 1/2” radius.
Shellac finish done as a French Polish using a spit coat and pumice to fill the pores. I don’t use any oil when french polishing smaller items which cuts down on the time between sessions.
This was supposed to be done at the end of January, oops.