|Project by Combo Prof||posted 04-28-2015 08:03 PM||1658 views||3 times favorited||8 comments|
I finally completed a mallet I started last September.
Ipe for the head and Hop hornbeam for the handle.
Progress was interrupted when I ran a chisel through my left pinky and dashed to the emergency room. Put it aside until last week.
I resolved to fix the problem as follows:
- make a proper workbench. One that dose not rack 3 inches each way, when planing and chopping.
- Get better chisels.
Turns out on my old craftsman work bench half the bold had gone AWOL and the rest were loose. I replaced and tightened the bolts, and now its not that bad. I still plan to make a work bench this summer though. My good friend UpChuck supplied me with some good chisels and I also bought some Narex mortise chisels from Lee Valley.
Smitty might recognize the block plane in the front, which I used for some of the chamfering
I should also mention this is my first attempt at a mortise. Why I chose Ipe for my first is beyond me. Its not perfect but it will do. (Hard to make a mallet with out a mallet by the way.)
The last picture is barking now and wants a walk I suppose.
-- Don K, (Houghton, Michigan)