|Project by MarkTheFiddler||posted 04-27-2015 04:25 AM||1299 views||0 times favorited||11 comments|
Victoria turned 14 on Friday, We celebrated on Saturday. That’s the only thing that saved me.
Here’s the story, Victoria picked out a baby cockatiel about a month ago. The bird store was hand feeding the bird and took all the way until her birthday. Well, Victoria added about $500 dollars worth of cage and other stuff to her bill. Her bill I say? MY BILL. I figure the bird set me back $850 all told. Happy Birthday Victoria.
On Saturday, Victoria and Momma left to do volunteer work at a horse ranch. They were to be gone from 10 to 2.
I figured I could knock out a rustic box in that time.
I found some thick hunks of poplar (Including the jig pieces I dismantled from my previous “project”. Out of those hunks I cut a fat l-shaped rabbit so I could cover the innards.
Oh heck – I Got ahead of myself. The innards consist of some 1/2 inch Baltic Birch left overs, And several hunks of ply my neighbor didn’t need. The 4 sides are the Baltic birch, the base is 3/4 cabinet ply, the lid is 1/2 inch cabinet ply and a recessed piece of 3/16 one side finished ply. The recessed 3/16 allows the lid to fit snugly into the 4 sides.
I glued, pin nailed then clamped the sides and bottom together. For good measure, I clamped it up for 1/2 hour. I made the ply top by gluing, pin nailing and clamping the thin ply to the 1/2 ply top. Again, the thin ply is 1 inch smaller in w/l that the half inch ply and I had center it just right. It worked out well as I seated the tow together after I took the clamps off. That would have set me back and I would not have finished before my stray away ranch hands returned.
And then…. then…. I spray painted the whole dang thing black. There, I said it. Heh heh heh.
Back to those rabbit cut hunks on poplar. I glued and pin nailed the upright edges on the 4 corners. After I got all 4 seated. I clamped it and set it aside. On the lid. I miter cut the more of the L shaped poplar and framed the lid. Glue, pin nails and clamps again.
I grabbed a 10 foot long and 1/4 thick piece of juniper out of my stack. It was left over from when they cut some logs into slabs for me. The wood had already reddened. I left the rough cut surface alone and start cutting lengths with the table saw sled. My sled is big enough that I was able to square up the short slab pieces with the straight edge against the sled fence. It saved a lot of time.
The plywood paint was dry by then so I added strips of poplar to the top and bottom faces of the sides. I used the same M/O.
As soon as that was done, I was able to start gluing and pin nailing the cedar slats on. One of the wider pieces curled up as the glue was drying. It pulled away from the pin nails. I had to clamp it as I should have done in the first place.
I went really quick at that point. The four sides were done. Good dang thing too, I had just enough left to do the top. So I cut the top piece of cedar 1/4 inch too short….. I didn’t think I had enough material left over to skin out the top with width so I was about to give it up while I thought about a cure. But it didn’t hut to at least attach that 1 piece. Then I pick the other length which I sure was going to be too narrow to completely fill in the rest of the top. It was precisely 1/16th too wide. Yippee!!!! I added it to the top and the ladies drove up. Happy birthday Vicoria. I made you a box to put all your birds stuff in!
She loved it, even unfinished. My wife said, “Where are the handles?”
Victoria had a nice party with loud mouth 8th grade boy friends and her giggly girl friends. I had a nice headache. I made 8 pizzas for the kids. They had bottomless pits for stomachs. Finally they left and I dropped. I had been working since 6 am and I was dog tired.
This morning, I advanced several projects and started finishing JoJo box. The rough cedar got 3 coats of glossy poly I was about to throw out. The poplar got an extra coat of satin wipe on poly.
The handles came off of and 8 X 4.5 piece of cedar. I cut a legth to 5.5 inches the glued an the left overs of both sides to make a little table. I left a little of the legs a bit proud of the top and slightly in from the joined edge.
When the dried. I ran the little table through the table saw and made 4 handles. I took a push block and feather board to keep it steady and safe.
I trimmed the excess of the leg lengths with the table saw cross cut sled. I then sliced two small corners off each end with my miter sled. The rest was sanding, 3 coats of glossy poly and one coat of satin poly. I had predrilled the screw holes on the back side so I could screw the handles to a hunk of ply to make the finishing easier.
Last but not least, I screwed the handles on. and attached some black rubber pads to the bottom.
JoJo box is full of JoJo stuff now. As always, I’m full of Mark stuff.
By the way, the black spray paint, did wonders for the knot holes and small gaps in the wood. You can’t see the gleaming white Baltic Birch through the irregularities. It just looks cool.
The box was 4 hours to make. The handles 1.5 hours. The finishing about 2 hours of labor with 1 hour waits.
I still haven’t found a way to make any money out of woodworking. I couldn’t even sell the box for the labor I put in much less the materials. One day….
-- Thanks for all the lessons!