|Project by Friendlysb||posted 04-26-2015 03:28 PM||829 views||3 times favorited||4 comments|
This was a fun project for me. Most of the furniture I have made in the past year or so has had Dovetails incorporated into them. I have been trying to hone my skills with hand cut dovetails. Each time I work on a new project I learn something else. I came up with this design from a table I made for my den about 2 years ago.
This project used the following;
- 6/4 cherry for top/sides/drawer front.
- 4/4 Cherry for the shelf rail and shelf on the bottom and back.
- 4/4 poplar for the drawer sides and back.
- 1 coat of BLO on all surfaces
- 2 coats of dewaxed Garnet Shellac on all surfaces
- 2 coats of Arm R Seal Semi-Gloss
- 1 coat of Arm R Seal Satin.
The one thing I wish I could truly improve upon is the finishing. I like the ease of application of Arm R Seal but I am getting so frustrated and I am not quite sure on what to do or what to use. As I apply with a old tshirt it leaves streak/dragging marks inside the finish. I stir up the can for a while before I start to use and try to stir it up while in use. But it doesn’t seem to matter. I can’t tell if these marks are left because of uneven pressure in the application process or not. When you watch people use this on Youtube they don’t seem to have the issues I have. Any thoughts from other LumberJocks would be greatly appreciated.