MirrorCoat Beer Cap Table

  • Advertise with us
Project by RedneckRuss posted 04-24-2015 06:27 PM 1155 views 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This was not much of a wood working project as it was expensive practice using 2 part epoxy. The table of unknown wood (probably pine) came from a local bar that had closed down. I used a 4’ level, clamps, and a router to Route out along the edges and the 3 diamond shapes in the center. I then used way too much dark stain. Finally I put on 3 or more coats of System Threes MirrorCoat finish. 1st coat was to secure beer caps, 2nd coat to completely cover surface, 3rd coat to build up a nice and thick surface. For the 3rd and fourth coats I used blue painters tape around the edges and once the coat started to set up I removed it. I wet sanded in between coats to get out any imperfections from bubbles I couldn’t get out with the heat gun. I don’t know what took longer; drinking the beer, or finishing the project.

-- Russell

3 comments so far

View Gene Howe's profile

Gene Howe

11063 posts in 3628 days

#1 posted 04-24-2015 07:11 PM

That (hic)..loo..loooks.. (hic) In my best Foster Brooks voice.

-- Gene 'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

View robscastle's profile (online now)


5456 posts in 2403 days

#2 posted 04-24-2015 09:18 PM

Nice job I would not have expected any less effort from a WW with the name Redneckruss.

I would have loved being in there with you drinking and weilding the heat gun and trying to mix epoxy.

Then trying to do a toilet run with epoxy all over your hands it would make a good slapstick movie!!

It would possinly take a couple of days to recover and appreciate the work!!

It does look good though

-- Regards Rob

View RedneckRuss's profile


14 posts in 2154 days

#3 posted 04-25-2015 04:03 PM

I had been saving the beer caps for quite a while. The project took so long because of all the coats I put on. If you pour it on to think its hard to get the air bubbles. I couldn’t have air bubbles in the finished product so I had to sand and then re-coat.

-- Russell

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics