|Project by oldstarter||posted 04-24-2015 05:11 PM||1413 views||2 times favorited||9 comments|
Still trying to use up my off cuts, I have 3, 4foot lengths of 1×3 in new stuff, but don’t want to use that unless I have to and although I’ve also got a couple of new clock parts, when I made my last clock I saved the insides including the rechargeable battery of the one I was getting rid of, so I’ve used those on this one making it totally recycled.
I tried to make the art deco motive at the bottom out of a piece of pine laminated onto some ply seen on the left of one of the photos, but in the end I wasn’t happy with it so it ended up in the bin. Found some smaller pieces, of Mahogany (I think) and joined them together to make the size of block that I needed. I inlaid some blue glass into the art deco bit but they looked far too dark almost black in fact, but I remembered from somewhere that if you scrunch up some baking foil or any silver foil will do and put it under precious translucent stones it will enhance them. So I put some in the recesses and laid the glass on top and and sure enough the glass became much lighter and if you move around the clock with light playing on the glass it sparkles. I’ve put a piece of the glass up on the right of one of the photos to show the difference.
I was thinking of attempting some carving under the main clock but thought that might be a leap too far, so decided on the art deco. Oh My Word I think it would have been easier to have carved something, at least if you make a mistake it probably wouldn’t be so noticeable. but all those straight lines have to be straight other wise it looks a mess, I struggled for ages with that but I think I got there in the end and finished off with a bit of banding. Most of the main part of the clock was based on one I had seen on the net, It was called something like ’ The Chocolate Clock’ and had a figure of I assume a Dutchman underneath, as he was wearing clogs it’s in a museum in America somewhere.
I made my own face out of pieces of brass cut off an old sheet and did a bit of hammering. I had no plans so drew some on a piece of board. Sketch up would be good but I haven’t got past first base with that. The wood I’ve used are just what I had to hand there’s some Oak, pine, mahogany and I think the top and middle horizontal pieces are Ipe, not sure of that though.
Thanks for looking.
-- Oldstarter (Dave Ashby)