|Project by visualj||posted 04-20-2015 01:11 AM||833 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
I call it Tabouret 603.1 because I made it out of walnut instead of oak or cherry. I got the plans from the ‘Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture’ by Bob Lang. It is probably the first piece I made that is fairly close to the original plans. Usually I change something to fit a spot, or decide something should look another way. But the dimensions and look hit it right with this. At least to me.
I went with walnut because my fiancé does not really like the pronounced grain of oak, and cherry will be a bit too red for our new house.
I started with some rough cut walnut that I had picked up a while ago. Since my power tools are in storage, everything was done by hand, except cutting the circle top. I cheated on that and used a circle cutting jig with a router.
Finish is one coat of boiled linseed oil, covered with three coats of garnet shellac.
One odd thing is that when I glued up the legs and stretchers I had them perfectly flat, in the basement. But when I brought it upstairs they twisted about an 1/8”. Both of them. I know the tenon cheeks were parallel to the side of the stretchers and the mortises were the same in the legs. I can only think that it was a little more humid in the basement and very dry upstairs at the time. Since then, the humidity is up a bit and they have gotten close to flat again. It is not noticeable and this is the only time anyone will hear about it. ;)