|Project by Eric||posted 02-24-2009 05:14 AM||4555 views||6 times favorited||5 comments|
For those who haven’t followed this table in process, here is the link to the blog series.
This was a good project for me and my current skill level. With each project, I stick to certain things that are familiar and comfortable (dovetail joints, wedged tenons, chiseled curves), and I add one or two things that are a bit beyond me – even if I didn’t realize it at the time!
With this project, the biggest (and pretty much only) complication was getting the legs attached to the aprons. If I had simply attached them from the outside and plugged the screw holes, it would have been MUCH easier. Instead, I wanted the screws entirely hidden, but that made assembly very difficult because I couldn’t attach the legs while the frame was assembled.
Of course, it was also tough building this thing without a workbench! The best I had at times were a couple 2×6’s layed across a couple plastic stools. And as far as doing this thing entirely with hand tools, that was pretty enjoyable, though time-consuming.
The wood used is kapur, and you may notice the yellow sapwood one side of each short apron leg part. I kinda like the look.
-- Eric at http://adventuresinwoodworking.com