|Project by thewoodkid||posted 04-08-2015 03:20 AM||912 views||0 times favorited||5 comments|
Started with a 250mm x 250mm solid piece of Greygum(or Grey Ironbark not sure), it was the only timber I could find in Melbourne that came in these dimensions, weighed about 120kg, if it is Grey Ironbark, it’s the 9th hardest timber on the Janka hardness test.
Using a 1hp belt driven drill press, pretty much every plunge the forstner bit would get stuck (3 inch forstner bit).
The wood was also freshly sawn, and extremely wet towards the middle of the post, but I couldn’t wait for it to dry out as this is was a new house and I needed a letterbox.
I plunge routed it from the front about 45mm deep, then kept on drilling from the back until the holes met up, cleaned up the edges with a chisel.
I used a 3 5/8(biggest forstner bit I could find) bit to drill the junk mail hole, had to drill from both sides and line it up, measured 4 times, drilled once, worked out perfect.
I cut off a piece from the offcut to make the door, it was splitting before I even attached it, so I added some support and a shitload of woodglue to keep it together, added some brass hinges, and a neodymium magnet to keep it closed.
For the first couple of months the wood was still moving and would cause the door to get stuck, it’s been in for over a year now, and I can freely open and close the door.
Thanks for looking!