|Project by JMB||posted 02-18-2009 08:52 PM||1934 views||4 times favorited||11 comments|
This was my thesis project when I graduated from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 05. Since then it’s been beaten up some. My skills have improved so much since that time that I find the method of construction I used at the time almost childish. But, we all grow and learn. The playing surface itself is still quite viable. I intend to eventually build a lighter, less clunky apron and legs for the table, and much smaller chairs.
The table is about 4 feet square. The squares of the playing surface are yellow heart and paduk. The body of the table and chairs are a mixture of plywood, red oak veneer plywood, and solid red oak, depending on function construction and visibility. Ideally I’d like to work entirely in hardwoods all the time, but you have to cut corners somewhere or you end up spending a LOT of money you don’t have.
The playing pieces are all my own design and fabrication. Cast bronze. White side polished to a dull shine and sealed with wax. The black side patinated with liver of sulfur to a rich brownish black and sealed the same. Cork circles were glued to the base of each piece to protect the surface of the table from dings and scratches. Each piece is about the diameter of a can of pop and weighs between 5 and 7 lbs.
-- If I can't fix it, it wern't broke in the first place!