|Project by tooldad||posted 02-16-2009 02:57 AM||7887 views||3 times favorited||12 comments|
We are expecting child #2 in May, so it is time to consolidate our boy’s separate toy room and bedrooms into one room. A while back I built a hunter green tall dresser with clearcoated knotty pine drawer fronts for my wife that now resides in our basement. Our son informs us that he does not want the green dresser with “rotten” wood. He thinks the knotty pine is rotten because of the look. Besides he also wants a blue dresser. I also pointed out to my wife that he would not be able to reach any higher than the second drawer for a while anyways.
I am one to plan almost every detail for a project. My weekend plans consisted of driving 12 hours one way this weekend to pickup my new enclosed trailer in Georgia. However, when I went to to make the final payment on Friday just hours before I was to depart, I was informed that it was a week to 10 days behind schedule. So here I am with a shop, a long 3-day weekend, and no plans.
My wife liked the look and proportions of the changing table I built for the nursery in 04 for the first new baby. I thought, this is easy then. I opened up the plans on my CAD program and just cut off the upright door. This way the drawers are the same size as he currently uses. Issue solved, I have plans and time in the workshop!
So all of this was being discussed at 9:30am on Saturday morning. At 11:00 am we were stopping at Burger King to pickup lunch after the home depot plywood purchase. 4:00pm on Saturday, I called my wife and told her it was time to pick out paint, I had the plywood box constructed. We went to dinner, lowes, and then I went back to the shop to paint the project and let it dry overnight. We used Valspar enamel paint.
Sunday morning I returned to the shop, scraped the glue off the panels for the drawer front and top. Routered and stained them. While the stain was drying, I worked on the drawer boxes. Once the stain was dry I sprayed lacquer. Finally was able to load up to take home about 4pm.
Not bad for 2 days!
It is sanded birch ply from HD, poplar face frame, red oak drawer fronts, top and base trim. The drawers are 5/8 MDF with a paper substrate applied similar to melamine. Full extension drawer slides.
Project dim are 36” tall, 36” wide, 18” deep.