|Project by lumberjoe||posted 03-30-2015 09:24 PM||1525 views||1 time favorited||11 comments|
As a part of a contest on another forum, I made a box out of a piece of firewood. The rules stated the wood could not have been milled previously. I made a little sled for my bandsaw and sliced up a split oak log. I was able to quarter saw it to keep it stable. I noticed it had some spalting on the bottom, so I kept it. I wanted to include that in the lid as well so I glued up a panel so the spalting was centered. The finish is super blonde shellac followed by Varathane triple thick (3x) waterborne satin poly. I really like the way it came out and would recommend trying that product. Hot hide glue was used throughout
Aside from the bandsaw, this was all hand tool work
This was a fun project and turned out better than expected. I’m going to mill up some more logs.