|Project by descolada||posted 03-30-2015 04:04 AM||2545 views||9 times favorited||18 comments|
I just finished up this welcome addition to my shop. My hand tools had far exceeded the capacity of the drawers under my bench and had crept into random drawers and shelves scattered through the shop. Everything now has a nice home and is very easy to get to and find. I may have gone a bit overboard in terms of materials and form, but I spend a lot of time in this shop and so I wanted this to be nice.
For all storage projects, and especially tool storage projects, there is the fine line between storing what you’ve got and leaving space for new things. With this project the top cabinet is mostly full, but everything inside is screwed or friction fit in place and so, if I need to reconfigure, it should be pretty easy. The drawers are mostly empty and so I can move things down there as needed. I’ve got Kaizen foam lining most of the drawers and so it’s pretty easy to keep things in place.
Everything in my shop is on wheels and while I don’t plan to move this too often, I will need to on occasion. This is a massive cabinet at 80” tall, 40” wide, and 20” deep and I’d guess it comes in at 250-300lbs empty and so needed some serious casters. I realized that the looks would have diminished quite a bit just standing 6” off the ground on orange wheels and so I wanted to put trim around the sides to hide it, but doing so would limit my ability to get in there and lock the wheels. I opted for a compromise and directly attached the front trim, but left the side pieces loose and held in place by magnets. If you look close you can see gaps in the profile, but otherwise it looks great and solves that problem perfectly