|Project by henricus||posted 03-30-2015 02:25 AM||1081 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I began with an idea for a mantel clock. I drew it out on my free Libre CAD software and toyed with the design and size for quite awhile before I settled on this style and size.
I chose a nice piece of curly soft maple and cut my pieces. Just to see, I stacked the pieces and liked what I saw. Everything is sanded and all I need is my router so I can begin to put it together. I even drew the face on CAD and took it to a local engraver. He used a photographic etching process on satin brushed aluminum. I have the mechanism and all I need is the glass and my router to finish.
Well I finally finished my router table and I was able to route my cut pieces. It took a while, but I did it. Need to cut some glass and the clock face needs trimming, the place that etched it left it a bit larger. I’ll have to be careful with this step. I also need to secure all the pieces together. I’m thinking of glue and dowels for the base and screws for the top. By using screws for the top, I can remove the glass and face if need be in the future.
I won’t use dowels like this again. What a pain in the butt. Next time I will just use biscuits or hidden screws. The top is removable. The two top pieces are secured with screws. The very top uses brass knobbed screws that can be accessed from inside, while the second plate is secured from above and then the screws are hidden in recesses from the top plate. I used Dark Colonial Red Mahogany mixed with Nigrosine Black aniline dye from J.E. Moser’s to get the texture the way I wanted and finished it with Dark Brown Briwax.