|Project by bluekingfisher||posted 03-27-2015 07:35 PM||2506 views||13 times favorited||29 comments|
For a while now I have been bug bitten by hand tool work and in particular hand planes made by Veritas. It is taken me by surprise how quickly my collection has grown so, I thought it time to build a suitable storage system for them.
We recently had our conservatory/sun room taken down. It had been erected by the previous home owner, unfortunately the ravages of time and minimal maintenance by the previous owner meant it was beyond economical repair. The good news was, it being made from hardwood it has yielded a sizeable amount of useable timber, even after all the rot and hardware has Ben removed. It looks to be some form of mahogany.
The sections are all in different dimensions however there are a fair few 6×2” x 6ft sections, more than suitable for the woodworking I usually do. However to maximise the yield I took the boards to the bandsaw where I deep cut them in two.
I should have mentioned this till is derived from an article in the Fine Woodworking magazine from which I built an almost exact copy for my Stanley planes a couple of years ago. This time around I made a couple of changes, primarily because I misplaced the article ( of course having now completed it, I found the magazine). The main difference was I used dovetail joinery rather than housing joints for assembling the case. I also made it a little deeper.
I find it easier to gang the boards together for cutting the tails, in fact I cannot cut anything like an accurate tail on a single board.
Cutting the housing joints for the shelves were easy enough, although the sloping groove to hold the plane back board was a little tricky because it was on a narrow board. The slope is 5 degrees off sqaure from the shelf housing joints. I clamped the boards together and screwed a fence with the necessary offset to cut the joint. We are all aware of the issues of cutting an accurate joint with a router bit when using ” under sized ” plywood. I had an off cut of BB ply which measured 17.62 mm, not exactly a straight forward thickness. I am fortunate enough to own a set of router bits to cater for this situation.
I used the 17.5mm cutter, by the time I sanded the ply it was a snug fit, well worth the outlay if you hate monkeying around with trying to,cut to a line with a smaller cutter.
Once assembled and after the glue had dried a once over with my old Stanley 4 1/2 cleaned up the milling marks and DT joints.
I used a spirit based dark stain for the cabinet, I also took the time to Stain it before assembly. I figured trying to keep the stain off the light coloured ply would have been impossible. I added a little red stain to the dark stain for use on the divider strips, hoping to match the bubinga handles on the planes. Two coats of water based satin poly was applied for protection. I also for fun, used brass screw cups to add a little bling and again, to match the tool cabinet I built this time last year.
Thanks for looking.
-- No one plans to fail, they just, just fail to plan