|Project by EarlS||posted 03-26-2015 01:31 AM||1470 views||12 times favorited||3 comments|
I’m finally getting around to posting the last frame that I made to completes the set of 4 Gustave Baumann prints for the Master bedroom.
First the particulars – as with most of the work I do, the wood of choice is cherry with walnut plugs and bars in the G&G style, finished with 3 coats of polyurethane rubbed out with 0000 steel wool, waxed, then buffed.
This project was all about the design process.
Each of the frames were designed separately and built before the next one was started. While they all have similarities, there are some significant differences from the first frame through the last one. The first 2 frames are much more linear, with defined tops and square lines. The 3rd frame incorporated more curves in the sides as well as the cloud lift in the top. The final frame used even more curves and a more curved version of the cloud lift along with accent bars on both the top and bottom rails. Still, with all of the subtle, and not so subtle, differences, as a collection, they accent the prints they hold and provide a harmonious grouping.
This project allowed for the development of a number of ideas I’ve had but wasn’t sure where to use them or how they would turn out. Since design is arguably the most challenging part of the process, this approach seems to be a good way to try new ideas and work through them, refining and changing elements in each iteration. The amount of time, materials, and cost are not so significant that a failed idea is catastrophic. In fact, the scrap bin has several pieces of wood from ideas that were tried and didn’t work out during the process and were scrapped.
Since there are several more walls in the basement that need art work I’m sure I will be doing this sort of thing again once I find the right art work. Meanwhile, there are plenty of projects waiting in the shop….
-- Earl "I'm a pessamist - generally that increases the chance that things will turn out better than expected"