|Project by Brenton||posted 02-08-2009 05:15 PM||1638 views||4 times favorited||10 comments|
This is my second successful cup. You may remember my first attempt splintered at high speed.
This piece came from a friend’s firewood pile, it was wet, black and slimy.
I used a suggestion from a fellow member posted in my last project and rough turned it and then microwaved for short periods over the next week. When it was dry, I turned it down to almost final dimensions and then infused it with epoxy on the lathe. (It really was a little too far gone, some real soft/missing spots)
Then I epoxied in the stainless insert and used a jam chuck on the tailstock side to steady it, set it on low speed and applied 6 coats of Waterlox over the next week.
Parted it off and used the Beall buffs to shine it up a bit.
There are a few small defects, but overall it’s a keeper.
-- Here I post the good, for the rest has become firewood.