|Project by CharlieM1958||posted 03-21-2015 07:15 PM||1358 views||1 time favorited||32 comments|
I started on this about six weeks ago, and posted here for ideas on how to finish it. Many thanks to Charles Neil, Dallas, Tennessee, and everyone else who offered great ideas and suggestions!
I started out buying some blue transtint dye, with intentions of creating a bright blue finish. I mixed up a small test batch with Danish oil and got just what I wanted on a sample board. However, when I tried to mix my full batch, the blue ended up getting diluted too much. I was out of dye, and just wasn’t happy with the washed-out blue I was getting.
Figuring I was going to end up throwing this out and ordering a new bottle of dye anyway, I decided to play around a little with it. I had some black oil-based enamel on the shelf, and stirred some into my dye/Danish oil mixture just to see what would happen. It turned out to be sort of a midnight-blue glaze that I didn’t think looked half-bad, so I decided to ditch my plans for the bright blue guitar and go with the flow. Here is how it looked with just the glaze applied:
I was planning to spray lacquer for the top coat, but the more I thought about it, my lack of indoor spray booth and the rapidly/frequently changing weather here in the Big Easy made me decide to go with wipe-on poly instead. It’s a finish I have experience with, so even though I knew it was going to be time-consuming, I went with it. No regrets. Here is another in-process photo:
Several people suggested I might want to upgrade the electronics. I may do that at some point in the future, but I’m quite happy for now with the way it sounds.
Thanks for looking, and thanks again to those who offered advice along the way!
-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"