|Project by JimRochester||posted 03-20-2015 08:50 PM||1847 views||6 times favorited||6 comments|
After the first one gave me such trouble I decided the second one would be easier. I was wrong. These are tough boards no matter how you slice it. I made this from Maple and Purpleheart. Instead of two very long glue-ups, I made four shorter ones. Easier to work for sure. Even after making test cuts and measuring to be sure my notches were perfectly square, I ended up with gaps because some got fubar’d. Then began the sanding of endgrain purpleheart. It kept burning, so I reluctantly ran it through the planer. There is still a very slight residual burn mark but now there are planer marks as well in spite of being sanded to 320 grit.
All in all should still be an eye catching piece at the craft shows.
-- Schooled in the advanced art of sawdust and woodchip manufacturing.